Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Email from 10/18/2015

Good evening all!

We all have stories about things we learned from our dads.  I personally can go on and on regarding projects about electronics and electricity that I did with my dad that have given me a confidence with electricity where I’ll do things that a couple of general contractors I know wouldn’t attempt.  And really there are many other areas I can dwell on about the things I learned over the 50 years I had with my dad.  But all of that is for another time.  This update is the first of what I expect to be several updates that include an excerpt about “What I learned from my Uncle John!”  We all call him “my” Uncle John but he’s really everyone’s Uncle John.  Close to 30 years ago we were introduced by a couple that had long since moved away but John and Shirley have never been able to shake us loose.  Anyone who is familiar with “our” Uncle John knows that he will do anything for anyone, as long as he can finish in a day!  And Uncle John has helped me many times without question from repairing a door jamb on a rental property that was broken into, to rebuilding a portion of a downed fence on a killer slope, to replacing a water heater, each done in a day or less.  So when Uncle John (or more likely Aunt Shirley) decided he could use some help trimming back the tree in the back yard I was more than happy to help.  Apparently when you get into your seventies it’s time to stop climbing into trees with sharp heavy objects.   So instead, you call your adopted nephew in his fifties who’s apparently just matured enough to be climbing in trees with heavy sharp objects; my hypothesis based on the fact that this was the first time I was asked.  So here is the first installment of “What I learned from my Uncle John!”:

1. You can cut firewood with a skill saw!

So anyway, I’m up in John’s tree trimming branches when Uncle John brings out two skill saws.  One of the skill saws was a big heavy cord connected Craftsman with so much torque that it turned your wrist when you squeezed the trigger.  This Craftsman was made before we were so concerned with “light” and “portable.”  You know, when men were men!  Uncle John proceeds to use his skill saw to reduce this huge stack a branches into a stackable pile of 18” kindling.  And in no time at all, certainly less than a day, we were done.  So what brought this less than intuitive but practical gem to mind?  Maureen has been after me to get some firewood under cover so it can dry before Halloween.  She wants to sit out front with a nice warm fire to hand out candy in our new neighborhood and invite some neighbors to come join us for some holiday cheer.  Some of you will recall our big cast iron fire place with a nice warm crackling fire on our front drive in Corona on Halloween.  Just like that.  There was this big stack of branches just over my property line where a tree was cut down recently which I volunteered to clean up because my neighbor is allowing me to extend Buddy’s new invisible fence onto his property (right through that area) so I can avoid a stand of trees that are close to my house.  I gather the branches and drag them down around the back of the house, get out a couple of saw horses and two (hand powered) tree saws of my dad’s I brought back from my mom’s house, and start to size up my task and wondering how long it was going to take me to hand saw all of these branches, when it dawns on me; “you can cut firewood with a skill saw”!  I go seek out my trusty Black and Decker corded skill saw (practically my first power tool) and an extension cord that was  also pilfered from my dad’s garage, and in an hour and a half I’m stacking neatly cut logs and kindling and packing away my tools.  I was just walking through my little patch of woods wondering when I might get the chance to reduce some more of those downed limbs for future community fire opportunities.

For those of you keeping up with Liam’s college running career, this past Friday evening, Liam was the Division I and overall winner of the College of Charleston Classic Cross Country Invitational.  This was his second win for the year (the first was the UNC Asheville Cross Country Carnival back in September).  The College of Charleston Classic was relocated to Rock Hill, SC (for reasons described in my last update).  This course, like the Furman College cross country course, was laid out on the Winthrop University’s golf course.  I can’t seem to get over the itch to get my clubs out every time I’m trekking around one of these golf courses watching one of Liam’s meets.  Liam finished first, ahead of the second place finisher by a little over 30 seconds (more than 100 yards).  The Western Carolina Men’s and Women’s teams finished second in the NCAA DI group (Recap).  Liam’s next outing will be the NCAA DI Southern Conference (SoCon) Championship to be held at the Furman College course on October 31st.  Liam currently has the 17th best time for the 8K distance (4.95 miles) and is the only freshman in the top 20 of the NCAA DI Southern Conference. 
We have been dying for some cooler weather.  Not that it has been over 100o for days like some of you have been experiencing in October.  But what is the point of living in the mountains if you can still wear shorts and t-shirts all fall.  The past week or so has been cooling off in the evenings enough that sweatshirts and long pants were in order.  This weekend however we’ve seen some fall mountain temperatures in earnest.  It has dipped down close to freezing Friday and Saturday nights and we had to unpack the winter wardrobe, as much of a winter wardrobe as we have anyway.  Here is Maureen decked out in her Disneyland hat and gloves courtesy of Aunt Shirley. 

I had frost on my windshield Sunday morning.  I’m going to have to be careful to check that the wiper blades are not frozen to the windshield before I turn them on from now on.  Better yet, I’m going to have to finish unpacking our stuff so we can get to all of our winter gear and I can get the cars in the garage before the freezing temperatures become an issue.  This just might be one of those “be careful what you wish for” winters.  My knucklehead son actually slept outside out in the wilderness Saturday night.  I spoke with him on Sunday morning (to make sure he didn’t freeze to death or get eaten by a bear) and he told me; “yeah, it was uncomfortably cold” that night.  Duh!  And all of our camping gear, including his nice below 0o sleeping bag is still boxed up in my garage.  I know he made it into college and he has been doing well with his studies so far but sometimes I wonder about that boy!  On the plus side, as cold as it’s been I’ve yet to turn on the heat pump.  We have a propane gas fireplace that gets so hot even on the low setting that we can only keep it on for short periods before it heats us out of the room.  The fire heats up the rock wall around the fire box and even after the fire is off the heat radiates off of that wall for hours.  I just turn on the FAU fan and try to spread the heat throughout the house.  I don’t remember if I’ve mentioned this before but this house was custom built, for himself to live in, by someone who works for an insulation contractor .  Just based on what we’ve experience so far I don’t anticipate having a problem keeping this house comfortable this winter.  Having to go outside, now that’s a different story!

Odds and ends:  It’s been just over four months now since we arrived in North Carolina.  I’ve still not received a single piece of mail forwarded from the United States Postal Service.  Between the post office’s error sending all of my mail to Weaverville, CA, our two different physical addresses and a post office box, I don’t have much hope of seeing any mail in the near future, or ever.

I just checked the weather forecast for tonight.  I suspect our heat pump just might be put to use tonight after all!

Our best to all of you!

Rick, Maureen and Liam

No comments:

Post a Comment